Starting from v10 PostgreSQL will support declarative partitioning.
While the inheritance based partitioning allows us to distribute and
data in smaller tables and apply some query optimizations using constraint
exclusion, it requires a lot of maintainance and implementing advanced query
optimizations isn’t straight forward. Declarative partitioning makes it much
easier to maintain partitioned tables and apply query optimization techniques
like partition pruning, partition-wise joins, partition-wise aggregation.
The talk covers:
- How to set up and maintain partitioned tables.
- Factors to be considered while choosing partitioning scheme.
- Brief overview of query optimization techniques applicable to partitioned tables. Some thumb rules for writing queries involving partitioned tables.
- Partitioning and foreign data.
- Limitations as of PostgreSQL 10.
- Future directions.