In this proposal, I would like to talk about the methods and tools we implemented to do an Upgrade/Migration of PostgreSQL cluster running on Older version 8.2.13 to a New Version PostgreSQL 9.5.5.
There were over 70 Slaves/Cascaded Slaves in replication using Slony 1.2 (Older Version) and all the business logic sits in the database. The most challenging part was, there were 3 Writable Slaves.
This talk includes :
– Replication from PostgreSQL 8.2.13 to PostgreSQL 9.5.5
– HA Proxy and PgBouncer implementations to make the App Connection re-directions seamless.
– Setting Up Writable Slaves from the New PostgreSQL 9.5.5 using Slony 2.
– Way we replaced Slony replicas with Streaming Replication.
– How we managed a combination of Streaming Replication and Slony to satisy the Application logic of having Readable and Writable Slaves.
– Issues faced during Migration/Upgrade.
– Implementation of Plprofiler to understand the performance bottlenecks.
– Parameters that need to be carefully considered while building Postgres Clusters to ensure optimal performance.
All the DBA’s and Professionals/Management looking to Upgrade their Older PostgreSQL versions to explore the world of opportunities we get using the latest PostgreSQL versions.